No subject

Thu Nov 22 16:31:42 UTC 2012

collections/frozen versions indicates _it is failing its purpose as a
distribution_.

The purpose of a distribution is to integrate various upstream pieces
of software into a coherent whole.  That means file system layout
standards, naming standards, infrastructure standards, etc., but the
absolute minimum is the ability to run a piece of software included in
the distribution in the first place.

It quite often is a distribution, and in particular, _our_
distribution, where somebody first seriously tries to use software
package against an updated dependency.  In such a situation, the
package maintainers in the distribution should initiate and actively
work on integrating the two, collaborating with the respective
upstreams, not just give up and wish for software collections.

If we as Fedora give up on integrating the software that comes from
upstreams, what good do we do for our users?  Where is our added
value?
    Mirek