No subject

Thu Nov 22 16:31:42 UTC 2012

ystem services and applications that connect, or accept connections over th=
e network and, optionally, uses name resolution.

This is mainly about usage of IP addresses and name resolution.

> How will the "outcomes" be assessed? It may be a selfish
> view,
> but I would like to suggest that a good goal would be for a fedora
> machine to act as a ipv4 and ipv6 router with PD (and minimal fuss),

This is out of scope of this feature. But please look at other features
not yet submitted:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Networking#Fedora_feature_pages

Especially:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManagerAdvancedIPv6

> as well as providing ipv4 and ipv6 services such as radvd, dhcp and
> dhcp6.

These have been tested and work. Major use cases documented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Networking/Addressing

> These services should probably be defined as well. As already stated,
> good goal would be to try having an "ipv6 only" system, as this will
> quickly highlight many of the issues around ipv6 usage on a network.

IPv6-only Fedora also works for me, at least Fedora 17 with the firewalld p=
ackage installed.

> The reason I suggest the "router" is that it is one of the more
> 'complex' network oriented setups, and will implicitly test basic
> ipv6 connectivity

Unfortunately not. Network testing, and especially IPv6/dualstack testing i=
s much more complex than just running an IPv6 system. Therefore even having=
 an advanced IPv6 router on Fedora won't help with that.

Again, please look at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManagerAdvancedIPv6

> ie link local

When writing this feature, I wasn't brave enough to include link-local. IPv=
6 zero configuration networking needs much more work then just fixing a cou=
ple of applications and libraries.

See:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ZeroconfNetworking

> daemons like bind, etc.

Bind is a system service and seems to work rather well.

> Perhaps even a "disconnected" network that relies on link local only?

As above.

Thanks for your feedback,

Pavel =C5=A0imerda