Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:51:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> the possibility of Software Center in Fedora has already been discussed
> several times, last time a few month ago.
> I read an article about a successful Google Summer of Code project [1]
> whose goal was to make Software Center a distribution independent
> program using PackageKit.
> Matthias even made an Ubuntu-independent infrastructure for AppStream
> (additional data about packages/apps).
> I wonder if there are still any efforts to get it to Fedora and what it
> would require from our infrastructure.
>
> If I understand it correctly, there are currently three options:
> 1) Software Center based on PackageKit by Matthias
> 2) Light Software Center - a new app based on PackageKit from the
> beginning
> 3) Apper already supports AppStream [2]
>
> I'm asking because I hear from many (not only) beginners that they would
> appreciate something like Ubuntu Software Center in Fedora. I guess it's
> one of the main reasons why many users rather go for Ubuntu than Fedora.
>
> Jiri
>
> [1] http://blog.tenstral.net/2012/08/gsoc-appstream-final-report.html
> [2] http://blog.tenstral.net/2012/08/appstream-for-apper.html
>
> --

The ultimate software center is a web application, like Google playstore.

All the rating and commenting and other info, need to be centrally
maintained and it is not a good idea to try to distribute this kind of
metadata.
There shall just be a local installer to install the packages triggered by
the web app.
Another thing is what the users of Fedora and most other linux'es is not my
old mother and most of these users, don't care about a big fancy software
shop.
So nobody is going to do this great amount of work it takes to make a great
webstore, Ubuntu need it for the same ways as Apple, they want to earn some
money.
It is an illusion that if we just have a fancy webstore, every body will
start using Fedora IMHO.
It will be nice if more people uses Fedora, but it not the main target, the
greatness of Fedora is not measured but how many user it have, compared to
other Linuxes or other os'es.

Tim