Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Oct 8 20:58:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 22:39:21 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Stephen John Smoogen
> <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...] There needs to be web design, web
> > application coding, processes for getting applications in and
> > approved, servers and disk space for this. Those are the hardest
> > part and it is a blocker because if no one is around to keep a
> > service going and growing it quickly becomes run by cargo cult.
>
> No one but Tim asked for a web based solution. We don't need an
> application submission process either, just present the applications
> we have in a more usable manner (i.e applications not packages).
> The code for a native application support is mostly there. People that
> want to maintain this code are also present.
> What is missing is generating the required metadata (which requires
> support from the infrastructure team).

I'd like to see a concrete plan for generating that metadata, and sign
off from the folks who know our current metadata generation process.
That would be: rel-eng folks, bodhi maintainers, yum and rpm
developers.

Once everyone has reached a consensus on the plan, we would need folks
willing to work on/maintain the needed changes.

Last time this came up, there was no good census on the metadata needed
or how to generate it, IIRC. (Happy to be proven wrong)

kevin