Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:09:38 UTC 2012

On 8 October 2012 14:39, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...] There needs to be web design, web
>> application coding, processes for getting applications in and
>> approved, servers and disk space for this. Those are the hardest part
>> and it is a blocker because if no one is around to keep a service
>> going and growing it quickly becomes run by cargo cult.
>
> No one but Tim asked for a web based solution. We don't need an
> application submission process either, just present the applications
> we have in a more usable manner (i.e applications not packages).
> The code for a native application support is mostly there. People that
> want to maintain this code are also present.
> What is missing is generating the required metadata (which requires
> support from the infrastructure team).

Dude.. metadata has to be served from something. It has to be updated
from somewhere.. it has to have some sort of way to get to the client.
That is a web application. The software has to be stored somewhere to
be gotten from.. and that requires disk space, front end servers, and
other infrastructure.

And applications which go into a store need some way to be sorted and
viewed by people outside of the application.. tada another web
application.

And yes there will need to be a submission process because the first
time we end up serving someone who put Oracle DB or someone elses
software in it.. we in infrastructure will know about it and be told
to get rid of it immediately plus deal with whatever other legal
issues involved. Or when MP3 or other Fedora forbidden items show up,
we in infrastructure will have to deal with the cleanup there too.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."