Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 8 22:16:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:18:33PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > That is a web application.
> No it isn't.
> > The software has to be stored somewhere to
> > be gotten from.. and that requires disk space, front end servers, and
> > other infrastructure.
> This is not about a webportal .... just some files on the mirrors in
> addition to the existing metadata.

This is why we need a clear plan, because right now everyone is talking
about a different imagined thing. I *think* you're just talking about
getting the appdata.xml metadata from desktop files into the mirrors:
http://distributions.freedesktop.org/wiki/AppStream/Implementation#Mirror
(I see also that I missed the "icons" tar.gz that needs to go alongside
that.)

But the whole Freedesktop plan has a whole bunch of other parts. Is that
what we're talking about implementing in general?

http://distributions.freedesktop.org/wiki/AppStream/Implementation

Is this the best architecture for Fedora? Does it provide the user
experience we want? If so (or if not, but we want to do something else
instead), what does the non-abstract version of that diagram look like for
our implementation? Who will do what parts, where will they run, and who
will keep those parts running?