[Feature Suggestion] UsrMove continued

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Tue Oct 9 06:33:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 02:18:10AM +0300, Serge wrote:
> * /root was initially on a root partition because 'root' user should be
> able to login even when all other FS (including /usr) are not mounted.
> Since now it can't do anything without /usr anyway, /root dir don't have
> to be in /.

I want to disagree with your suggestion. /root is the home directory of
the superuser and should not be placed on a network device in opposite
of the home directories of the ordinary users. The user root should be
able to logon without a network connection to do any rescue work on
the system.

> * /etc contains data and configs for userspace programs, it's useless
> without them, and don't have to be separated. After all GNU autotools
> have never been aware of such split in the first place.

I want to consider, that /etc should be mounted on a writeable partition
in opposite of /usr to allow changes without remounting.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt