replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 9 11:53:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:58:45AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Like to me rsyslog since the journal is an integrated part of systemd.

Because a huge change like replacing traditional logging with journald needs
to happen as part of a process, not just because another core program adds
similar-but-different functionality.

Eventually, systemd will probably have some time-based scheduling
functionality -- it's part of the original plan. We'll need to have the same
discussion around cron.

If systemd starts including a text editor, we can talk about vi. But unless
it offers almost-identical semantics, it can't happen near-automatically. In
fact, even if it *is* identical, we need to intentionally decide on what's
best for the Fedora.

We want *features*, and first*. But we're also a community of *friends*
*making decisions together. Systemd's journal offers some compelling
features. We want to make those available, and quickly. But let's get
everyone on board.

Lennart, systemd developers: journalctl already has a mode which will output
traditional-looking text log dumps. Would it be possible to offer a
journald-compat service which writes the traditional /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure? Or is it better to continue shipping rsyslog for that
purpose? This wouldn't be a "forever" solution, just a migration path, and
eventually something which could default to off. (I can't be the first
person to ask this, but I can't find anything with the googles....)