replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 12:37:40 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 11:53 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Because a huge change like replacing traditional logging with journald needs
> to happen as part of a process, not just because another core program adds
> similar-but-different functionality.

Nobody is talking about removing rsyslog or syslog-ng from the
distribution just not installing it by default on minimal install.

To use all the enterprise features rsyslog and syslog-ng currently
posses over the journal you will need to configure them to do so hence
the Administrator can just as well install it afterwards by manually
adding it to his ks file or by choosing it Anaconda or manually from the
cli when he intends to configure it.

Do you honestly think it's a better default shipping two sysloggers and
have them enabled by default for *all* Fedora user base ( embedded -- >
servers --> desktop )  to waste everbody's hardware bandwith because
administrators suddenly have forgotten how to install packages?

> Eventually, systemd will probably have some time-based scheduling
> functionality -- it's part of the original plan. We'll need to have the same
> discussion around cron.

see [1]

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.timer.html

I personally want to see the documentation releng/fesco has about what
the default minimal set, what the process is to have something
include,excluded from it and why the packages that exist in it are there
in the first place.

JBG