systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Oct 9 13:42:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 09.10.12 12:24, Milan Broz (mbroz at redhat.com) wrote:

> - systemd-cryptsetup
>   (generally, to be able to install system without cryptsetup->device-mapper libs
>   dependences if only plain partitions are used, as they are in VM)
> - system-readahead
>
> - systemd-udev

Making cryptsetup/readahead/udev optional is certainly doable, but then
again, these things are absolutely trivial, so unless there is a strong
need for it, I'd avoid making things more complicated for me. Note that
it is not possible to boot up a machine withotu udev though. Only in
containers udev is optional as we can rely on a set up environment
there, and do not need to manage devices ever.

> - systemd-journal (or at least that extended httpd part)

The journal cannot be removed really. We require this to capture
stdout/stderr of all services (or in other words: even folks who think
the journal is an abomination will benefit from this, as this means
stdout/stderr data is forwarded to syslog too).

> maybe *.[service|mount|timer|...] unit files could live in separate
> subpackage as well

These hardly make sense separate, and we actually spend some work in the
F18 time-frame to fold them back into the main package.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.