replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Oct 9 14:41:23 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> said:
> Agreed: I find this irritating too (and the default SYSTEMD_PAGER _is_
> less so I'm not sure how it's being run).
>
> Setting PIPE or piping to a pager is even worse - the lines are
> truncated at 77 chars regardless of the term width so for now I'm
> running journalctl --no-pager -a | less to get wrapped lines in a pager.

Yeah, systemd's behavior of "magically" doing things based on tty or
pipe is highly annoying.  If I want paging, line wraps, or truncation, I
have tools to do that.  Having to constantly go back and add options
(after stopping to look up said options) to get unfiltered output is
frustrating.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>