systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:41:33 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 09.10.12 09:56, Simo Sorce (simo at redhat.com) wrote:

>>> For F19 I plan to submit a feature asking for not installing syslog by
>>> default anymore. I wonder how far I'll get with this before this is
>>> shut down by the conservatives... ;-)
>> Does systemd journal populate /var/log/messages ?
> No. It doesnt.
>
>> I already found myself stranded in F18 a couple of times.
>> Stuff changed and there is no way to discover how to fix things.
> Well, making changes means, well, making changes. Sure it is a bit of a
> learning involved if we make changes, but it should always be our goal
> to make the learning easy rather than just sticking to the old ways,
> because we are afraid of making these changes. More specifically a good
> approach here could be to include an almost empty /var/log/messages that
> just tells you to invoke "journalctl" instead. Alternatively we could
> just add a /var/log/README with the same info.
>
> (Actually, it has been on my TODO list for a while to add
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/README with similar info, I just never came around to
> actually do it.)

Simon has a point and simply having well documented man pages is not
enough and I myself have not been doing my due diligence wikifying stuff

Given

"|CHANGES WITH 194: * If /etc/vconsole.conf is non-existent or empty we
will no longer load any console font or key map at boot by default.
Instead the kernel defaults will be left intact. This is definitely the
right thing to do, as no configuration should mean no configuration, and
hard-coding font names that are different on all archs is probably a bad
idea. Also, the kernel default key map and font should be good enough
for most cases anyway, and mostly identical to the userspace fonts/key
maps we previously overloaded them with. If distributions want to
continue to default to a non-kernel font or key map they should ship a
default /etc/vconsole.conf with the appropriate contents."

|You probably want to do the same for /etc/sysconfig/i18n since it's now
considered legacy and administrators and users in general should use
( using my use-case as an example )
"vconsole.keymap=is-latin1 vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16"  on the
kernel command line

Instead of the old SYSFONT and FONT which probably are being
ignored/deprecated now.

or make the necessary changes to /etc/vconsole.conf as in

KEYMAP=is-latin1
FONT=latarcyrheb-sun16

For those interested in details see [1]

JBG

*cough* in perfect pony world we would be updating the
installer,firstboot and bunch of other stuff that needs to be updated
and tested at the same time *cough*

1.http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/vconsole.conf.html