replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Oct 9 14:45:46 UTC 2012

On 09/10/12 15:35, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 03:19 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> More importantly though, what is the equivalent of "fgrep xxx
>> /var/log/messages" which is certainly pretty much the most common thing
>> I do on my logs... I can't see any sort of searching in journalctl?
>
> journalctl | fgrep?
>
> This one is pretty fine by me tbh.

Sure, though having just tried that is took 33s to search about a months
worth of logs instead of the 0.05s that greping the last months messages
took ;-)

>> The next most common thing I probably do is to load the log into vi so I
>> can search back and forth to see matches in context, but obviously that
>> is not something journalctl is every really going to be able to do.
>
> Your favourite pager probably can though. Less has the same mark and
> navigation keystrokes as vi. Although if you really do want to open in
> an editor you'll probably need to redirect to a file.

Oh I know that - not sure why I tend to use vi really. Possibly because
it's quite easy to quit less by hitting the wrong key but you have to
make an effort to exit vi.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)