replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 9 16:40:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:12:48PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >That's expensive.
> No more than for example someone study and learning "cloud"

Sure, a fine example. That's an tech-industry-wide disruptive shift.
Companies _are_ spending money on investing in it, because they expect to
get significant returns, savings, and a competitive advantage. Many of the
companies and products springing up around cloud are precisely focused on
minimizing transition pain. Why _wouldn't_ we do the same if we want to sell
people systemd and journald?

Or to put it another way, which of these cloud providers do you think will
win?

   "Forget everything you know of your legacy stuff and approach our system
    with a fresh mind as a new technology!"

or

   "Bring your experience into the cloud. Take everything you know, and
    shift it to a new, more efficient and cost-effective model with no
    disruption to your existing operation!"

?