[Feature Suggestion] UsrMove continued

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 17:08:43 UTC 2012

> * /root was initially on a root partition because 'root' user should be
> able to login even when all other FS (including /usr) are not mounted.
> Since now it can't do anything without /usr anyway, /root dir don't have
> to be in /.

As an example of why this is a bad idea...

I have a file server that, until recently, had /usr on an LVM so it
could be dynamically resized.  Sometimes, the machine would
unexpectedly reboot and be unable to bring the VGs up.  The repair
scripts were in ~root.  I would boot the rescue disk, ro-mount /, and
run the repair scripts.

If ~root were in the VG somewhere I would not have been able to repair
the system.