replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:40:49 UTC 2012

On 9 October 2012 16:24, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:20:14PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> > "If you have strict requirements on time-based logging rotation or
>> > certain audit requirements, then something like rsyslog(?) is required
>> > in parallel with the journal.  In most other cases (desktops, tablets,
>> > many servers) the journal is sufficient."
>> *patch acked*
>
> Okay, so, given that: isn't systemd with time-based rotation logging more
> desirable than pushing that aspect off to rsyslog, because rsyslog loses the
> secure logging aspect?

OK I don't know enough of the journald "file" format and such to answer this.

> I would also note that the scope of organizations that have requirements for
> time-based rotation are much, much larger than than the set of organizations
> who need their servers to crash on error. It's an important use case, not
> just a thought experiment.

Yes they are but I think they would be in the same field of not being
the main candidate of using just the journal. Mainly because they
require sending the data to centralized locations, timestamping in
required formats etc.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."