replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:31:10 UTC 2012

On 9 October 2012 20:45, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 22:33 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:30:38PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
>> > Oh come on, stop bashing unix, logrotate could certainly grow a size
>> > checking policy if people felt the need, unix is not holding you back,
>> > in fact you are building this stuff on a unix-like system.
>>
>> In fact, logrotate _has_ a size checking policy and has for years. Possibly
>> always. The main drawback is that with nightly runs, a log which grows
>> suddenly during the day may grow out of control.
>
> Yeah I meant more of an online checker based on something like inotify
> that would run the logrotate job ahead of time if needed. It's not
> rocket science, but if it is not widespread it probably means that
> either those in need use alternative log rotation tools, or people never
> felt the urge to do it.

At previous jobs I have seen it usually done by moving logrotate to
every hour or smaller time frame using a custom config that only
checked the sizes of files. I think they had some sort of inotify tool
also but it had a tendency to go bonkers at times.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."