replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at
Wed Oct 10 18:37:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at> wrote:
>> Can journalctl send the logs via logwatch?
> Not sure I can parse this, but IIUC you are wondering whether logwatch
> is compatible with the journal. Not to my knowledge, no. But adding this
> should be fairly easy as the output of "journalctl" is a pixel-perfect
> copy of the original format, so where it works on /var/log/messages it
> should simply work on the output of journalctl and all should be good.
> Note however that with the capabilities of the journal it might be
> interesting to add journal support to logwatch that goes beyond mere
> compatibility. For example, tests such as "look for messages which are
> claimed to come from PID xyz but actually came from uvw" and suchlike
> would be really interesting to have. That information is not available
> in the /var/log/messages format however...

So, in other words, all our existing log analysis tools have to be
modified if they are to be of any use in Fedora 18?

Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec