systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 10 20:51:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, 10.10.12 21:06, Richard W.M. Jones (rjones at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:58:45AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Like to me rsyslog since the journal is an integrated part of systemd.
>
> Leaving aside the merits or otherwise of the journal, why does it need
> to be part of systemd?  Why not have it as a separate project?

They are tightly integrated. The journal can run very early at boot,
where very little else runs and integrates closely with systemd for
that. Also, systemd itself generates a lot of events for it, and queries
it too when necessary, for example in the "systemctl status" output. The
journal is implicitly augmented with systemd-specific data, for example
with fields declaring which systemd service is logging. Journald also is
responsible for handling stdout/stderr of all running services, and for
that is a dependency of the systemd process spawning logic. Hence
journald depends on systemd, and systemd on journald, and separating
makes no sense.

In other words: systemd and journald are separate enough from each other
to make them two processes, but way too integrated to separate them from
each other entirely and allow one running without the other.

> The init system and logging have always been two different things.

Yes, but this is hardly a reason to keep it that way. We have good
technical reasons to integrate them. I believe logging is an absolutely
essential part of service supervision. As such I believe no service
supervisor could ever be complete without tight integration with the
logging framework.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.