replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 10 20:54:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 10.10.12 22:19, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 03:49:11PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > So make it really better and support time-based rotation. You don't need
> > to make time-based rotation the default, but you'll make a lot of people
> > happy to have the option.
>
>   Journald will rotate logs when signalled with SIGUSR2.  So you need something
> like “systemctl kill --signal=USR2 systemd-journald.service” executed by cron
> or from .timer unit.

Note that this will not really implement something that would be useful
for data retention policy enforcement. Sending USR2 will cause journald
to rotate the files, but not delete more than necessary to fulfill the
disk space limits. To enforce data retention policy enforcement we need
to bump this logic up to delete all journal files which contain entries
older than a specific time.

Implementing this is actually not hard... happy to take patches.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.