replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 00:53:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:37 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> >> Can journalctl send the logs via logwatch?
> >
> > Not sure I can parse this, but IIUC you are wondering whether logwatch
> > is compatible with the journal. Not to my knowledge, no. But adding this
> > should be fairly easy as the output of "journalctl" is a pixel-perfect
> > copy of the original format, so where it works on /var/log/messages it
> > should simply work on the output of journalctl and all should be good.
> >
> > Note however that with the capabilities of the journal it might be
> > interesting to add journal support to logwatch that goes beyond mere
> > compatibility. For example, tests such as "look for messages which are
> > claimed to come from PID xyz but actually came from uvw" and suchlike
> > would be really interesting to have. That information is not available
> > in the /var/log/messages format however...
>
> So, in other words, all our existing log analysis tools have to be
> modified if they are to be of any use in Fedora 18?

The signal seems to have been lost somewhere along the path, so apart
from anything else, no, because rsyslog is still installed by default in
F18, and the systemd journal doesn't do permanent logging by default
(/var/log/journal does not exist). rsyslog is still the primary system
logging mechanism in F18 and that is not going to change (he said
meaningfully, targeting the QA orbital laser on Lennart's home address.)

There is a proposal in this thread to stop installing rsyslog by default
and enable permanent logging by journal in F19, but that's just a
proposal so far, and does not affect F18.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey