[Feature Suggestion] UsrMove continued

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 11 03:31:00 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 02:44 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> Tidyness, simplicity, new features... Incompatible with older, but
>> compatible with newer distros. That's close to what Solaris does on
>> its livecd and really close to what Android does on mobile phones.
>
> As my favourite American folk saying goes: 'close' only counts in
> horseshoes and hand grenades. :)
>
> A proposal to change the filesystem that was synchronized with and
> planned to continue to be identical to (or at least fully compatible
> with) how it's done in Android and Solaris, with the participation of
> Google and Oracle, would be a more interesting proposal than 'let's just
> do something kind of like what they're doing, but not the same, on our
> own, not co-ordinating with them'. It might still face a lot of
> resistance, but it'd be _more_ interesting.
>
>> Turning /lib into /usr/lib was also incompatible with every other Linux
>> distro, nevertheless it's already done.
>
> As was already said, that change also had clear concrete benefits;  the
> incompatibility was acknowledged as a drawback, but the benefit was
> traded off against the drawback, and it won.

Really? Don't you think the answers on in this thread speak a different
language.

> Your proposal seems short
> on clear concrete benefits, but still has all the drawback. Other
> distros are now adopting /usr move,  which is kind of what we expected to
> happen, so that drawback will go away. They'd be less likely to adopt a
> change like this, made for the sake of 'neatness'.
Openly said, I believe this is just an "imitation cult" - These other
distros will likely go through the same learning curves as Fedora and
come to the same conclusions as Fedora.

"UsrMove" being a mistake, which should be reverted.

Ralf