replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Sat Oct 13 08:58:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Konstantin Ryabitsev (icon at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> So, in other words, all our existing log analysis tools have to be
>> modified if they are to be of any use in Fedora 18?
>
> Right, you'll have to port them to understand CEE from updated rsyslog. HTH,
> HAND. <- note: THIS IS A JOKE.

FWIW - the current plan for Lumberjack/CEE is to keep
/var/log/{messages,secure etc} unmodified, and store the full data in
a separate file.  We can easily change this if the logging users don't
think this is the right thing to do, and users who require maximum
logging performance an obviously use a customized information - but
keeping the files and not requiring a flag day for everyone to convert
their tools immediately sounds like a good default.
    Mirek