anacanda: should we ignore the bios raid information on a disk when the raid is broken?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 08:06:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 10/15/2012 09:23 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
> I have a broken fake raid on my machine (intel p67 chipset with one of
> the disks missing) and when trying to install F17 yesterday (with
> up-to-date respin done with pungi) I was greeted with the following
> message "disk sdXXX has bios raid information and..... blah..... is
> part of a broken raid, ignoring sdXXX". After ignoring the message
> later on I wasn't given the chance to use the spare disk.
>
> I thought of patching anaconda to ignore the bios-raid-information and
> to allow me to use the disk as I single HDD but I was wondering if
> there are any side effects out of this?

Yes, the side effect of this is that if we wrongly detect an array as being
broken and allow the user to use it, we will destroy the array, nuking any
data on it. IOW ignoring this error is simply not an acceptable option.

What you can do is remove the bios raid metadata from the disk by going
into a rescue shell on the system and run  wipefs on the disk in question

Regards,

Hans