minimal install [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Oct 15 19:51:12 UTC 2012

Am 15.10.2012 21:47, schrieb Matthew Miller:
>>> Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
>>> support, right?
>> Or more:
>> 122659574       kernel
>> 117821428       glibc-common
>> 35623360        linux-firmware
>> 14233540        coreutils
>> 13845828        glibc
>
> So, if a minimal image is a very high priority, this could be shrunk.
> Handwaving aside the difficulty for a moment, if the default kernel split
> out some of the drivers, maybe that could get down to 60MB. Leave out
> linux-firmware....  And glibc-common is almost _entirely_ locale and i18n.
> Because we still want to be _Fedora_, not a tiny-linux distro

but what speaks against sub-packages and a mtea-packge installed as
default which pulls all the packages in to have the same state as
now but leave the option to remove meta-package and unneeded locale
to the administrator?

one may say "disk storage is nothing these days"
iw ould say: mulitply it with 20, 50, 100 virtual machines
on really expensive SAN-storage where "disk space is cheap"
is not true