modules, firmware, kernel size (was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:37:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:47:34AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> If you're suggesting 1, I'd be really really opposed to that.  It would
>>> make packaging in kernel.spec even more of a nightmare than it already
>>> is.
> [...]
>> Both - if people want firmware packages split out of linux-firmware, it
>> doesn't make sense unless the drivers (similar in size) are also split,
>> and if you were to do so, you'd need to start adding the driver -> firmware
>> package dependency mapping.

What the hell did you drink today, Bill?  Basically what you're
suggesting is that Fedora move to a kmod model for everything.  Which
means you'd have to install all of them by default anyway or the kernel
team would be swamped with bugs like "I installed Fedora and my random
USB device doesn't work!"

Seriously, no.  There are 3 kernel people.  There's no way we have time
to sit around closing bugs with stuff like "Install kernel-module-foo".

> Basically: it's hard, but the only way we're going to get to a
> reasonably-small minimal image, so if that's important (and I believe it
> is), it's something Fedora should invest resources in.

No.

josh