f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 15:58:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 10:49 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 16.10.2012 18:06, Jesse Keating napsal(a):
> > On 10/16/2012 08:53 AM, Dario Lesca wrote:
> >> If this feature is not included then you can not update F1[0-7] on
> >> systems that have used LVM / RAID: all my PCs and laptops.
> >
> > Anaconda no longer handles upgrades, so this isn't a concern.
> >

> Oh come on. I have LVM and luks on my system with different versions of
> Fedora. I want to install Fedora into newly created partitions, but I
> can't, since Anaconda does not display the LVM volume label, so I don't
> know what is what, nor let me unlock luks partition.
>
> Upgrade would be if I want to move from my F17 to F18, but I want to
> install them side by side (which is not upgrade) and that is not possible.

I think this is going in the wrong direction. The whole discussion was
based on a false premise: newUI does intend to handle LUKS, LVM and
RAID. Where it doesn't read and display an existing LUKS, LVM and/or
RAID-based layout correctly/usefully this is a bug, please report it as
such. Those earlier in the thread who leapt to the conclusion that
anaconda did not handle these things any more were *incorrect*.

Jesse, above, is only saying that upgrades no longer go through
anaconda, so any upgrade-related concerns are irrelevant. But for the
purposes of fresh installs, newUI is intended to handle the creation of
new LUKS/LVM/RAID devices and the display and editing of existing ones.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey