modules, firmware, kernel size (was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 17 18:32:23 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> said:
> It really depends on what 'kernel-minimal' is.  If it's the
> same kernel (identical vmlinuz) with groups of modules, then I'm
> assuming this is the same as what everyone else is proposing.

I would think the only "sane" way would be to just change the packaing,
not actually build multiple kernels (or even multiple packages with
kernels).

For example, a "kernel-minimal" that has the kernel and the "core"
modules loaded in most installs (e.g. filesystems like ext4 and NFS, dm,
network support like ipv6 and iptables, and virtio-type drivers), a
"kernel-common" that has the rest of the current contents of "kernel"
(and probably obsoletes "kernel"), and then the current
"kernel-modules-extras".

There will always be requests to move modules from -common to -minimal,
and it shouldn't be a big fight (I would bet most requests would be
pretty obvious).  That already exists some for -modules-extras.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>