What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 17 18:41:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 17.10.12 16:13, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 10/17/2012 03:50 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >the files are stored in
> >/var/log/journal/
>
> Is it not better to place this under /var/journal/ and leave text
> files to /var/log/ to prevent administrators thinking they can treat
> the journal files a text files and prevent any kind of script
> breakage that expect all files in that directory to be text files?

There are already various non-text file formats used in /var/log, fore
example btmp and wtmp, bootchart, lastlog, and I think even mysql
sometimes puts its binary logs there...

I think it's a good idea to have a single point where log-style data is
stored, regardless of the format used...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.