What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 17 20:02:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:39:43PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > I don't know if it's more likely. It's seems to be almost a tautology that
> > corrupt binary formats are more problematic. Just the other day I hit
> > something that caused a corrupted journal and made journalctl stop telling
> > me things. (bz 865091) I really was at a loss as to what to do. That might
> > have just been a weird glitch, but... well, isn't that the point?
> Well binary does not imply encrypted ... you can still extract data
> out of "unreadable" journal files.

Yes, but I think we can all agree that the level difficulty and knowledge
required is usually higher.

I don't want to hash over the virtues or downsides of a binary journal.
That's what it is. My concern is that Fedora users are equipped with the
tools and information to have a ... well, if not a _good_ experience, at
least a _not terrible_ experience ... when things do go wrong.

And to make sure that we've done our homework in avoiding as many problems
as possible. (Referring back to the start of this sub-thread, I'm asking for
documentation and for a testing and qa plan to be a requirement for the
feature schedule. Nothing more.)