modules, firmware, kernel size (was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Oct 17 20:14:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:40:39 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:38:13AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I'd introduce a third metapackage just "kernel" that requires both
> > of those and implicitly Provides: kernel.  Most people would just
> > get the "kernel" metapackage when a transaction asks for something
> > to provide "kernel", but if you explicitly ask for kernel-minimal
> > you'd get just the minimal.
>
> +1 to this

I think we should really avoid calling this "minimal" as we have seen
that means different things to different folks.

if someone wanted to explore this route, I would say call it
'kernel-virt-guest' or something similar. Establish exactly what virt
env's are targeted by it, do some test runs to show that it helps
anyone at all, and then sell it to the kernel maintainers. ;)

Sounds like it could be a nice f19 feature if there are folks
interested enough to work on it.

kevin