What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

J. Randall Owens jrowens.fedora at ghiapet.net
Thu Oct 18 01:00:00 UTC 2012

On 10/17/2012 07:44 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> With the stipulation that rsyslog would still be available to provide a
> traditional syslog-style text logs, what are reasonable hard requirements
> for making systemd the main logging system installed by default? (Or, an
> alternate softer implementation: rsyslogd would be installed by default but
> would not be in 'core'.)
>
> These are the things I think are critical:

> Less critical but important:

Another thing I've been looking for but not seen any mention of is a
mechanism for keeping some types of journaled messages longer than
others.  E.g. for a mail server with a web front end, you might want to
keep the maillogs around much longer than the httpd access_log &
error_log (though I'm not clear yet whether those will be replaced by
journald, given how httpd handles logging, but it's an example).  Or,
similarly, different maximum data sizes for different services.  As
poorly as I understand it yet, I don't think it looks like journald has
a way to do this yet; everything seems to share the same limits, if any.
 A way to specify for the different messages would be a nice thing.

--
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/