modules, firmware, kernel size

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Oct 18 15:02:38 UTC 2012

Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> writes:

> Of course we would.  The entire point is to reduce the size, and the
> only way to reduce the size is to build it with different config
> options.

Just splitting off most modules would do the job I would think... Of
course you can go smaller if you change config options, but that is a
lot of work.

Maintaining a list of core modules does not sound like an unbearable
task. (Easy for me to say, of course). Then everything else under
/lib/modules can go into a separate RPM.

# rpm -ql kernel-3.6.1|grep ^/lib|xargs du -c
31488	total

# du  -s /lib/modules/3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64/
100324	/lib/modules/3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64/

Making sure that the right systems get the extra module RPM is left as
an exercise for the reader.

/Benny