aha! I figured out why journalctl's auto-pager bugs me when git's doesn't (and possible solution)

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Oct 18 17:50:38 UTC 2012

On 10/18/2012 01:41 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

>> Okay, so with the old system, I don't recall *ever* doing
>> 'cat /var/log/messages'. I always, always either less'ed it or grep'ped
>> Did/do you usually less /var/log/messages? Or did you usually cat it?
>>
>>> Or, do you want that e.g. the 'ls -l' output gets auto-paged?
>
> tail -f, about half of the time...

BTW, I hope that journald will allow doing the equivalent of

tail -f /var/log/**

This would be tricky during the transition when some programs will still
use /var/log/xxx files and some will go through journald. Sort of like
currently dmesg working differently than /var/log/* files (I keep making
the mistake of 'tail dmesg'/'less dmesg').