aha! I figured out why journalctl's auto-pager bugs me when git's doesn't (and possible solution)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Oct 18 18:18:29 UTC 2012

Am 18.10.2012 20:05, schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> and i am doing "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages" or whatever
>> logfle i want to watch since years because i want to see what
>> happened before, can scroll up and watch what is going on
>
> This will work *right now* with journald, with almost identical semantics:
>
>  journalctl  -n500 -f
>
> (No space allowed after then -n.)

thats not the point

the point is that tail, grep, less, more, wathever-pager-you-use
can be stucked with nearly any console-application in any
creative way BUT the same way for all

if i want a pager - i use a pager

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ which systemctl
alias systemctl='/bin/systemctl --no-pager --full'
        /bin/systemctl

sad that you need to use aliases to get the normal unix.behavior
some tools like git doing not so is no excusion because this
sounds like "i do it wrong because some others do too"