modules, firmware, kernel size

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Oct 18 20:02:05 UTC 2012

Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> writes:

> It's not simple.  It's not easy.  It buys you very very little and it
> leaves the maintainers having to continuously guess which package a
> module goes into.  Then there's the requests to move them from one to
> the other.

I certainly buy those arguments. The whole thing may be too much of a
bother even though it does not mean recompiling anything.

It IS quite a lot of work.

The savings are quite substantial though. The modules currently loaded
on my laptop take up 8MB of disk space, out of about 95MB of modules. It
does not seem unreasonable to think that the modules needed for most
virtualizated devices could fit in 10MB perhaps, which means a saving of
75MB.

/Benny

(By the way, I have Infiniband modules loaded, but alas the laptop seems
rather lacking when it comes to Infiniband cards!?)