f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 15:01:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 23:12 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I'm not sure what 'indication' you're expecting, exactly. AIUI, existing
> > RAID arrays and VGs should just show up in the list of existing
> > filesystems on the left-hand side of the custom partitioning screen. (In
> > a recent enough Beta TC, of course, Alpha is ancient stuff now). If they
> > don't, that's a bug. Do you have a case where they don't? If so, it
> > should just be reported as a bug.
> >

> They didn't the last time I checked, which I believe was beta TC2.
>
> Just checked again in a test VM and I don't see any way to use the free
> space in the existing VG.  (vgdisplay reports 7.74 GiB free of 19.48
> GiB.)

<<snip>>

> When I attempt to add a 6GB "mount point" for /, I get a "not enough
> free space on disks" error.
>
> So how's it supposed to work?

This is the main piece of functionality that's still missing: allocating
devices from preexisting VGs.

You can create and destroy lvm devices. You can reuse existing LVs,
optionally reformatting them. You can encrypt or decrypt them. What you
cannot do is allocate new LVs from old VGs. That's sort of the last item
on the TODO list.