What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Oct 19 18:40:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:25:11AM -0700, les wrote:
> Also one of the things we (linux folk) decry about most proprietary
> packages is in fact the arbitrary encoding of information in proprietary
> formats.  Add in the fact that storage is relatively cheap today, and it
> would seem that having all logs in text to simplify reading, access,
> support and legacy storage would be most desirable.  Additionally text
> logs compress nicely for archival storage.

The binary format provides various benefits, such as
- faster
- easier to 'grep' (way more advanced stuff is available)

A text format is provided by running "journalctl". You can pipe this do
a file and have the exact same information. Additionally, you can still
run syslog and get everything like you have it as now.

IMO this addresses every concern, right?

--
Regards,
Olav