What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Mon Oct 22 20:58:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab at redhat.com> wrote:
> Em 17-10-2012 11:44, Matthew Miller escreveu:
>> With the stipulation that rsyslog would still be available to provide a
>> traditional syslog-style text logs, what are reasonable hard requirements
>> for making systemd the main logging system installed by default? (Or, an
>> alternate softer implementation: rsyslogd would be installed by default but
>> would not be in 'core'.)
>
> Anything that is proposed to replace rsyslogd should be capable of getting
> logs not only from a local machine, but also from network devices
> (wifi, cable/xDSL modem, VoIP phone) and from other machines. Until
> journald can't handle it, I don't think it is ready to be the default logger,
> as it won't fill even my home network needs.
>
> So, the big missing feature seems to be syslog UDP/TCP protocol support.

As mentioned earlier, that's is not a feature of the journal, it does
not want to speak syslog as in the protocol, or write plain text
files.

It is what a syslog daemon is for, and what a syslog daemon already
solves properly. There is absolutely no need to go wild here and try
taking over what works fine since many years. The same applies to the
plain text log files. It's both a solved problem the journal should
just leave alone.

If people want syslog, they should just run syslog, it all works fine,
and is expected to be used that way. The journal is "system logging",
but not "syslog" as in the text files, or the network protocol.

Kay