HEADS-UP: Transition to guile-2.0.x and a new compat-guile1.8 package

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 13:44:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:52:47PM +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> Parallel installable guile interpreters:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/guile-1.8/filelist
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/guile-2.0/filelist

So both new and old guile scripts need to be patched to call
the right binary? Or is there a symlink created?

> Conflicting -dev package:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/guile-1.8-dev/filelist
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/guile-2.0-dev/filelist

Jan was proposing this approach too, but I thought if some packages
need to be patched to use the 1.8 guile paths, why not make one step
further and patch also the paths used in building. At least, when the
maintainers of the old packages prepare the patches, they can make
sure if the packages still work correctly.

Our packaging guidelines seem to allow (but discourage) conflicts with
compat devel packages, if you think this will be a lot of unnecessary
work, I'm ok with the conflict.

FWIW, the OpenSuse packages don't seem to have the conflict and their
libguile1-devel package has the aclocal file renamed to guile1.m4.

--
Miroslav Lichvar