Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 23 14:11:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Lukas Zapletal wrote:

>> Fedora Infrastructure has begun using ansible for some system setup
>> and other orchestration/automation tasks.
>>
>> Our (just beginning) public repos of it are here:
>>
>> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git/
>>

> Just out of my curiosity, is Fedora Infra going to replace Puppet with
> this, or you are planning to use these two technologies in parallel?

As we move things into our private cloud instance we need a provisioning
system that:
  1. doesn't have a bunch of painful dependencies that go on every system
(ruby)
  2. doesn't require us to provision our systems before we provision our
systems
  3. doesn't require some other other daemon or cron job running on the
systems to maintain them

If it can take care of the needs we have I would certainly like to replace
puppet. I do not speak for everyone work on the infrastructure team, but I
am working on it as if our goal is replacement.

-sv