Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 06:51:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 07:21:40AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 23.10.2012 17:21, Matthew Miller napsal(a):
> >>Once you introduce version into the name, you will never be able to
> >>get rid of it, although puppet 4 might be 100% compatible with
> >That's not true. In the future, puppet can obsolete puppet3 -- for example,
> >in EPEL 7.
> >

> Yes, it can, but I doubt it will happen, because the arguments will
> be similar "there are users which have scripts which has hardcoded
> puppet3 for some reason and it might break".

This isn't about scripts as much as it is about yum update.

Within a RHEL/EPEL-6 release, if the puppet package goes from 2.x to 3.x,
that will break people's systems when they do a yum update.

Between RHEL/EPEL-6 and RHEL/EPEL-7, people will have to do a fresh install
of their hardware.  At that time, they'll find out that puppet in EPEL7 is
puppet-3.x and if they need to use puppet-2.x to work with their old
puppetmaster they'll need to use a puppet2 package (provided that EPEL7
provides one of those).

-Toshio