What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 13:13:03 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> And, in order for the implementation to really be a *win* for Fedora,
> it
> would be great if we could coordinate:
>
> - integration with every log analysis tool tool we ship (for some
> tools,
>   a crude implementation may just be dumping in the output of
>   journalctl,
>   using a temp file as worst case)
>
> - integration with every monitoring system where it make sense
>
> - bonus points: make these integrations benefit from systemd's fancy
>   features.

Sorry I'm a little late to this, but I think these last points are worth stressing: We really shouldn't just switch the logging backend and ignore the fact that things like gnome-system-log, etc suddenly don't show any data anymore. We should really think about improving the overall user experience. And while journalctl is very nifty and showcases the journal features nicely, the story will be much more convincing if other tools also integrate with the journal.

For the GNOME side, we are working on designs for a new log viewer [1] and more general problem reporting [2]. Both of these will benefit greatly from the journal. But this is f20 material, at the earliest.

Matthias

[1] https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/SystemLog
[2] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ProblemReporting