Plans for anaconda LVM/RAID support

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Oct 25 19:04:42 UTC 2012

On 10/25/2012 09:55 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Matthew Miller
   [snip]
>> It is often useful in enterprise settings to do non-kickstart installs while
>> prototyping. *And*, people running Fedora in those settings probably *are*
>> prototyping. So, this seems like an important use case to me.
>
> I agree with this. It's also quite a simplification to say that
> kickstart only involves writing a single text file :)

I see a couple other things here.  Anaconda doesn't inter-operate well.
The interactive graphical part has no provision for writing "the kickstart
file so far", so that is cumbersome to adapt: I need multiple passes.
(How do I invoke anaconda with a partial kickstart file, use interactive
features, then write the revised kickstart state, and stop?
There should be a syntax-and-semantics-aware "kickstart editor".)
And, if what I want is guided generation of a kickstart file,
then that should be an ordinary app (with root privileges to
discover any existing configuration, but inhibiting all partition creating
and formatting), not a stand-alone installer.

Then anaconda balks at taking over a disk configuration that I create
using other tools.  Namely, anaconda won't format an unformatted
existing partition,  So, I must use another pass to discover Fedora's
"default" arguments to mkfs before performing the mkfs somewhere else.

What I use now is the latest gparted LiveCD ( http://gparted.org/ ;
recently supports LVM!) to set the partitioning, and to create and
format file systems with labels.  Then I run anaconda only to assign
those existing partitions to mount points.