highly anecdotal comments on LVM in Fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 26 01:04:19 UTC 2012

I used to be annoyed by the long device names generated by LVM and didn't
see myself as needing the complexity on a desktop. Over the years, I've
found it to be more and more useful to be able to revisit partitioning
choices without a whole song-and-dance.

So, when I was installing F18 TC3 on my new laptop, I thought I'd try
setting up a custom partitioning scheme with LVM. It took me a bit to find
where I could do that (I needed to check "I don't need help", I think), but
then when I tried anaconda crashed, and then the thing to autofile a bug
crashed. Soooo, I rebooted and did it again without LVM and it didn't crash.

If that had crashed, I probably would have filed a bug. But it didn't, so I
just moved on. I *did* make a mental note to test this again in VMs when the
beta is actually released.