[Test-Announce] LVM autopart testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 21:06:46 UTC 2012

Hey, folks.

So the Big LVM Autopart Controversy has been kicked upstairs to FESCo:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/964

If they say 'go with LVM', we'll have to do that.

I have no idea what FESCo will decide, but we should cover our bets
either way, I think, so it will do no harm to do some testing of the LVM
autopart stuff over the weekend rather than wait till after FESCo makes
up its mind.

So, for those doing validation testing, if you could run a few test
installs with LVM autopart and make sure everything's okay that'd be
great. There's nowhere formal to report results - just yell on the list
if you find a bug that doesn't affect ext4 autopart.

I have a couple of updates.imgs available:

http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm.img against 18.19 (TC6)
http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/updates-lvm-1821.img against 18.21
(smoke12, possibly TC7)

The first is for anaconda 18.19 - what's in TC6. The second is for
anaconda 18.21 - what's in smoke12 and would possibly be in TC7. If more
anaconda builds show up, I'll provide updates.img for them following the
same name scheme.

All you really have to do to test is use these updates.imgs and do a
regular old autopart install. Two things should happen - the install
shouldn't explode (unless you hit some unrelated bug, of course) and you
should get LVs for your system partitions (not /boot) by default, just
as you did with F17 and earlier. If you hit a problem, do test *without*
the updates.img too before pulling the fire alarm, just in case it's not
anything to do with the LVM change.

You can also test autopart-within-custom-partitioning if you like. The
button in custom part that says something like 'create partitions
automatically'. It should also give you LVM-based partitioning with this
patch. (It does for me, I checked).

Thanks everyone!
--
Adam Williamson