[FYI] Motif finally opened under LGPL

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sun Oct 28 21:15:17 UTC 2012

> Hello All!
>
> Not so long after opening CDE they relicensed (Open)Motif under LGPL.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/motif/
>
> Time to rewrite everything with Motif! :)

Unfortunately, the single most important Motif application doesn't work:
http://www.erik-kunze.de/xzx/

I had to compile it for 32-bit, so it doesn't crash (there's a lot of bad casts between
ints and pointers), but then:

[zozo at localhost ~]$ xzx
XZX-Pro is copyright (c) 1995-2005 Erik Kunze
XZX-Pro comes with no warranty; see the file COPYRIGHT for details.

xzx: warning: forcing private colormap
xzx: error: couldn't open <diska.dsk>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <diskb.dsk>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <pentagon.rom>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open ROM image <pentagon.rom> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <scorpion.rom>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open ROM image <scorpion.rom> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <cart1.mdr>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <cart2.mdr>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <cart3.mdr>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <cart4.mdr>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open <mf1.rom>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open ROM image <mf1.rom> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: Multiface 1 emulation disabled
xzx: error: couldn't open <mf128.rom>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open ROM image <mf128.rom> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: Multiface 128 emulation disabled
xzx: error: couldn't open <mf3.rom>
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: error: couldn't open ROM image <mf3.rom> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
xzx: Multiface 3 emulation disabled
xzx: error: couldn't open joystick device </dev/input/js0> for reading
   -> reason: No such file or directory
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
   Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
   Serial number of failed request:  6424

It worked with openmotif 2.1.x a long time ago. It doesn't work
today with openmotif 2.3.3 from rpmfusion. It is also unmaintained
for a long time now, just like a lot of other Motif apps. :-)