secure boot: how to disable this crap?

Joshua C. joshuacov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:33:48 UTC 2012

2012/10/28 Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 03:04:15AM +0100, Joshua C. wrote:
>
> > I see but is there a general switch do disable those even if secure boot
> is
> > set to enable in the uefi firmware?
>
> No. That's kind of the point.
>
> > Honestly looking into the latest patch applied to the rawhide-kernel, I
> > cannot see any indication that those lockups occur only if secure boot is
> > set in the uefi firmware. They just lock out the user space regardless of
> > what the uefi says...
>
> The capability is only masked off if the firmware reports that secure
> boot is enabled.
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org

As a solution in my case I decided to patch the check for the secure boot
bit in arch/x86/kernel/setup.c. I think SB is something good for windows
but don't want my custom kernels to have anything to do with it. Maybe
others can argue against this but I like it that way.

I also dropped the pesign part ... don't need it either.

Thanks for the replies.

--
--joshua