3D printing in Fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 29 21:13:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 05:02:17PM -0400, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> I think the time to discuss if a spin is needed or not hasn't come yet.
> Now, the primary goal should be to get all the tool in Fedora. When that's
> done, they should probably go for a package group to give users an easy
> way to install those tools. And then if the initiative gets a traction and
> attracts a lot of people I don't see a reason why they can't have a spin.

I think it's not really a matter of "can't have". It's a matter of "maybe
not the best use of energy". Take a look at the numbers for the top spins
this release, over on the right column of this page:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

I don't think this is because KDE or XFCE aren't popular among Fedora users.
People just don't get the via spins. And that's even more true for
non-desktop spins.