MariaDB: Packagers needed

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 30 01:36:14 UTC 2012

Am 30.10.2012 02:21, schrieb Tom Lane:
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:
>> i doubt MariaDb would be interface-compatible in most cases
>> BUT not binary comatible as you can also not replace MySQL 5.1
>> against MySQL 5.5 without compat-packages (remi did outside
>> fedora-packages) as long depending packages are linked against
>> a specific version
>
> <facts>
> Just for the record, we *did* replace 5.1 with 5.5 without any compat
> package, back in Fedora 15.  It seemed to go just fine; we had to
> rebuild dependent packages, but that was about it (and there weren't
> that many).  I don't see any reason to think that replacing mysql with
> mariadb would be harder than the 5.1-to-5.5 transition was.
> </facts>

and how do you rebuild all this packages against
mysql-5.x AND mariadb to switch between both at
runtime if one says "i use mariadb" and installs it
by replacing mysql/mysql-libs?

in F15 you pushed 5.5 and so there was done a rebuild
remi provided 5.5 for F14 and that is why he had to
provide compat-libs to solve depencencies with official
fedora packages

BTW:
there was even a ABI-break between the first 5.5 releases
that said to imagine how binary compatible mysql/mariadb
will be over the long